Hello Hakodate



April 6th, 2016
Hi, I’m Icha, participant of long term PARE program from Bogor Agricultural University (IPB). After finishing the unforgettable PARE Spring School program in Kasetsart University, Thailand, I’m going to Hakodate, Hokkaido University, Japan. I was welcomed with strong wind and cold weather. Samui! I’m a little bit shocked because of the big temperature difference between Nakhon Pathom (Thailand) and Hakodate (Japan). And also, this is my first winter. Fortunately, this is the end of winter, spring is coming (can’t wait to see sakura).

Hakodate is a peaceful place, far from crowded. I like it. Everything is interesting in here and everything is new for me. And also, I can learn many things in my laboratory. Most of student in my laboratory is doing research in marine fish physiology. Therefore, I get opportunity to see marine animals that I’ve never seen before. Even the weather is very cold, the people are very warm. Especially the member of my laboratory, they are very kind and funny. I’m really grateful to be a part of this laboratory.

When I arrived in Hakodate station, I saw many announcement and flyers with a big 3.26 text and Shinkansen picture (Fig.1). I found them not only in the station, but also in another public places. The announcement and flyers inform about the opening day of Hokkaido Shinkansen Line at March 26th, 2016. Shinkansen or bullet train is popular Japanese high speed train. Shinkansen is icon of Japan.  Therefore, many people excited about the opening day. I saw from internet that tickets for the first train bound for Tokyo from Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Station was sold not more than 1 minute.

Fig.1 One of announcement in the station
At the opening day of Hokkaido Shinkansen Line (March 26th, 2016), I got opportunity to watch the performance of Blue Impulse (Japan Self Defense Force’s aerobatic team). They performed some attractions in order to celebrate this historic moment and many people watched this attraction. It was the best moment during my stay in Hakodate (Fig.2).

Fig.2 Blue Impulse performance (taken by Hidayu-san)

Soon, I will join some lecturers in here and also Japanese language class. I am excited to learn Japanese language class and also excited to start my research. Hope the best for me. Ganbatte kudasai!

This entry was posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a reply