Jakarta, the city of culture diversity


     Nice to meet you, PARE friends. My name is Yoshimura Motohiro in HU and I stay in IPB in Indonesia for five months. I will conduct research on gas emission from soil in Sumatra Island from end of the November, so I am preparing for the research such as processing or making equipment. I hope introduce my research field in Sumatra next post.
              In some Sunday in this month, I went to Jakarta city to meet my friend and enjoyed sightseeing there. Then, I found the cultural diversity in Indonesia through Jakarta. I introduce what I saw and felt on the day in Jakarta.


              I left dormitory in Bogor 6:00 am and I arrived at Jakarta station 9:00 taking a micro bus and a train. When you take the train , please be careful that the head of the vehicle is woman-only. If a man of your friends who didn’t know that rule took the head of the vehicle by mistake, he would get kicked out by security guards in the same way as I!
              In Jakarta, I went to Chinese town, Arsip Nasional, Nasional Museum, Istiqlal Mosque and Central Park by Trans Jakarta, bus which has exclusive lane. Trans Jakarta also has woman-only area! Therefore, I went around Jakarta paying close attention to that.

In Chinese town, I found a lot of food carts selling pork which I can’t find in Bogor because of Islamic prohibition. I visited “WIHARA ARIYA MARGA”, Chinese style temple. There were many incense sticks and the temple had sweet smell and air of mystery.
entrance of Chinese town

WIHARA ARIYA MARGA

      Arsip Nasional is a villa built in 1760, Dutch colonial era. It belonged to Clark, former governor-general. I couldn’t enter the building because of the preparation for wedding party but I could enjoy an European style garden.
Arsip Nasional
preparation for wedding party


     
             In the National Museum, I watched a lot of exhibitions how people had lived in Indonesia in old days showing miniature or genuine staff. It took a long time to see all exhibitions because Indonesia had a lot of cultures depending on location and the museum had exhibitions on every cultures. If you want to visit some museums in Jakarta, please be careful all museums are closed on Monday.
entrance of National Museum

exhibition about racial location in Indonesia

     
              Istiqlal Mosque is one of the biggest mosque in south east Asia. It was built in 1978 taking 17 years. In the mosque, there was peaceful atmosphere with praying Muslim and sleeping stray cats.
tower of Istiqal Mosque

    
               Central Park is a shopping mall with beautiful garden. I walked around the garden and ate “Omurice”, omelette with fried rice. There is a detail description about "Omurice" below and please check it out if you need. In the mall, alcohol drinks were sold though it was very difficult to buy them in Bogor. That’s why Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia I think.
What is OMURICE?

garden in Central Park

 Indonesia is a nation with diverse which has a lot of races, languages and cultures. Therefore each cultures are tolerant and respect each other I think. Even though only Jakarta, I could find a great diversity with harmony. I hope the harmony spread around the world.

This entry was posted in , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a reply